Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:39:40 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Grover's recovery thus far
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Jeff,

Well, if you're looking for inspiration then hear this: My wolfsburg is now back on the road. There are a few minor tweaks remaining involving the exhaust and the oil pressure switch wire, but nothing substantial.

The clatter and power loss was traced back to a badly seated pushrod (or two) . Next time I put head gaskets on an engine on the bench I will be sure to do the valve adjustment then and there; it would have been a lot easier that way.

Changing the headgaskets wasn't too bad a job, but it's sure one I am not in a hurry to repeat. In fact, two engine drops in a season is way more than I would want to take on, not that I had a choice. The only good news is that I managed to complete the second switcheroo for a bit less than half of what I paid the first time around.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/79 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop www.busesofthecorn.com www.pottsfamily.ca

Jeff Lincoln wrote: > Thanks Neil. > > This is the biggest project I've ever taken on mechanically. So far just > tearing the burnt out engine apart has been a great learning experience. > > I'd never have had the confidence to do this without my friend's Brien and > Billy - who helped me install the engine I just took out - and the support > of this list. > > I know it isn't really all that complicated but it's a pretty big deal for > me. > > -- > Thanks, > > Jeff > '90 Carat (Grover) > '86 (We call this one Parts) > '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus >