Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:53:53 -0400
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wheel alternatives...
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>

Can the perceived differences be supported by test data, or are these the feelings of the user?

So far as the claimed benefits (better cornering) of low profile tires on big wheels, I thought we were talking about a van here, not a "performance" vehicle. For many of us, it is specifically a van that is driven on back roads with all that implies, and on city streets with attendant poor street maintenance. How much loss of tire/wheel integrity in the face of rocks, chuckholes, and the like is there? The thinner the tire (lower profile), the greater the likelihood of bruising the tire and or bending the wheel when hitting a rough patch. Any argument with that?

How fast do you drive your vanagon around corners? If it loses stability because the stock wheels and tires "lean" too much, maybe rethinking the cornering speed would be in order. In talking with a young man who was at Discount Tire having his Nissan xxxZ equipped with big wheels and something like 35 aspect tires, I learned that he finds that the only safe way to drive with such tires on city streets is to drive exceedingly slowly to avoid tire and wheel damage when hitting holes and objects. He just likes the look, and plans to run his car in trials on tracks.

I know you are not putting 35 aspect tires on your vans. But, removing metal from wheels that were designed for a sedan in order to make them fit ............... . Hmmmm. Just wondering.

Dave Mc