Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:07:15 -0400
From:         T Collins <tonycollin@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      1.9ltr vanagon timing help needed.

Hello folks,

I need your help. This is going to be long. So please bear with me. I have searched our archives and looked elsewhere in the net and I am getting many different and conflicting information.

So lets begging shall we? This past winter my 1985 vanagon started stumbling at cruising speed, just a little bit. I changed the fuel filter and that seem to help. I also noticed some exhaust leaks, but disregarded them. At the beginning of this summer the van developed a serious bucking and stumbling issue. I checked those exhaust leaks to find out that #3 cylinder pipe was had crumbled all the way across. I thought that this would certainly have something to do with the stumbling as this leak was a giant crater before the O2 sensor. The J pipe also had a whole as well as the muffler. I have since ruled out the exhaust. All the pipes are in place there is no leak to be found in the back end. Yet the issue continues.

I figured timing then is the culprit. Distributor cap, rotor and plugs have been changed. I have looked at all the information on timing for the 1.9 starting with the bently (which looks like Greek to me) to a number of answer in the archives, to a vanagain news letter. I followed many of these and yet el guapo does not run under load worth a poop.

I looked at my crank pulley closest to the block, there is V notch on it. I think that is TDC. On the rear pulley (closest to back of van) There is another notch this is one is a U shape and it is to the right of the V shaped one. Here is where I need clarification #1, is this 5* after top dead center ATDC?

When I set the timing I make sure that I get the rotor, notch in the distributor and V notch all lined up TDC to cyl #1 to set this timing mark and the van does not run appropriately. I have also tried setting to the 5*ATDC and that is just as bad. Come to think of it both in both settings the marks seem to dance a bit not being constant. On road test it bucks, stumbles and cuts off. Can someone clarify the right timing to use.

I am using a timing light without any features to it. I get my Pos from the alternator, my negative from the tranny bolt, and my signal from the wire to cyl #1.

I have disconnected the idle stabilizer and plug the 2 connectors, also setting iddle with the adjustment screw using the tach as my guideline. I know that is not perfect, but I am sure that I am at 850 rpm + or - 50 rpm.

I have read information that suggest that timing should be done at 15-17 BTDC is this right? I have not tried this yet.

Before there are suggestion that this is an AFM problem, I have tried 3 including one that is known good or new. Something tells me that I need to get this timing right before I can move (no pun intended) forward.

I know I am wordy, but I am trying to paint the whole picture. I welcome information from those of you who may have experienced this set of issues and had success solving it.

Thanks, Tony -- 82 Scirocco "Rodolfo" 85 Vanagon "El Guapo" 90 Fuji Ace