Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:06:48 -0400
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wheel alternatives...

Mark,

Not really a North American VW issue, more like a pre-1992 VW issue as most of the T3s running around Europe came stock with 14" wheels just like in the USA.

As a matter of fact, most are still running around with 14's today. Last time I checked, the online tire stores in Germany carried 12 different brands of 14" tires for the T3.

Also, making a wheel change in Germany is more expensive since you have to have it done professionally by a company that can provide the Gutachten to keep your vehicle legal.

Cheers,

Jeff

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@gmail.com> wrote: > For North America VW chose to use 14' tires and wheels.  In other locales > you could have 15" and even 16" for your van.  Those of us that trade up are > not necessarily moving away from what VW engineers spec'd for but to a size > that VW marketing chose not to give us.  The stock 14" tire size is limited > in selection here and getting more so as the years pass.  Not many vehicles > used a 185R14 of the proper load range in North America.  By switching to a > larger diameter you increase the number of tire choices available and can > improve handling as well.  I have upgraded to 215/75R15 BFG's on the older > style S A alloys for our Westy Syncro and am pleased with the results both > in handling and looks.  I did have to modify the clamshell so I could carry > an inflated spare and lost a little power on hills as the final drive ration > has changed but it was worth it to me.  I agree that some modifications are > questionable at best and others down right dangerous but switching to 15" or > 16" wheels and tires can be done safely. > > Mark in AK > > On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 6:38 AM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > >> I am forever amazed at the propensity of folks to change something on a >> vehicle from the way the engineers designed it, and dismiss any concerns >> about safety of the modification with faith that it will "be ok." >> >> Why do you guys want different wheels from the ones that VW put on the >> van?  In what way do you think that your choices are better?  Just >> curious. >> >> Dave McNeely >> >> >> >> >