Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:49:26 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Revised dash layouts, incorporating a GTI gauge cluster
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>

Hi Greg, I have installed some additional gauges and use the space where the ash tray sits to mount the gauges facing me. There are alternatives such as mounting them above the instrument cover for easy viewing. Karl Mullendore has a really neat set up with 6 or so gauges facing him from a dash shelf added on top of the regular dash. The next trick is putting in the sensors for the gauge to pickup.  The oil pressure will be the easiest to find a sender.  Van-Cafe offer a really nice setup with the sender mounted in the metal shield. The other gauges such as Oil temp or Coolant temp are another issue.  THere is not a simple sender to jam into the oil drain plug for the temperature.  BusBoys used to offer a neat custom made sender that they machined but this is now NLA.  I've gone through 3 of those.  They do fall apart when you change the oil and remove them.  I have a machinist buddy in Syracuse that may be able to do the drain plug senders for the Vanagon engines. OK next is another coolant temp sender.  - good luck there these are all rubber or plastic and no clean way to add another sender but the one on the thermostat.  On the older 86 Syncros the crossover tower has a plastic plug that is held in with the same O-ring and clip as the temp sender on the thermostat housing of the non-Syncros.  I have one of those towers and will cobble a temp sender in there one of these days, but I will have to open the coolant circuit to change the cross over tower near cylinder #1.  I am not ready to do that yet. On my old 69 BayWindow Westy, I had cut three perfect holes right below the radio and had the Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Cylinder Temp VDO gauges installed.  It looked real neat and professional.   Cheers,Joel Cort Rochester NY. 89 Syncro Westy (CinnabarVan) 87 Syncro Transporter (Stella) 73 Westy Campmobile (agent orange) Founding Member of the Empire VW Camping Club & Westies at Watkins - www.westies-at-watkins.org ________________________________ From: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:09:17 PM Subject: Revised dash layouts, incorporating a GTI gauge cluster Hi Volks, I have a 1985 cabriolet that I am letting go, and I am thinking that the gauage cluster would help me keep tabs on the waterboxer. The cluster includes VDO gauges for oil temp, oil pressure and a voltmeter. I have these installed on my baywindow and they are VERY helpful. Anyone have any pointers on how to install these? On my baywindow I was able to install a similar set right into the dash below the radio, but the Vanagon doesn't have that space available. No point reinventing the wheel if someone else has already come up with the perfect solution... Happy Trails, Greg Potts 1973/74/79 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop www.busesofthecorn.com www.pottsfamily.ca