Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Sep 2009 21:13:53 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant part confusion - need some help!
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

At 08:23 PM 9/8/2009, Jeff Lincoln wrote: >I appreciate everyone's advice and responses. I have decided to get the one >that matched what I took out. Although, the part number on it and picture >compairison definitely indicates it is the part for the manual transmission.

This may help -- my '89 automatic is specified for p/n xxxxxxxxB, and the transmission cooling is supplied by a smaller hose Tee-d off from the big hose connecting the coolant tower with the big pipe going forward. That hose is very expensive.

In the course of getting the GoWesty kit to retain the steel sleeves in the pipe ends, I had to get their adapter kit for A/T which includes three things -- a p/n xxxxxxxxA version tower which lines up differently and has an extra 5/8 nipple on the tower, six inches of Gates 1-1/2" or whatever the size is hose, a new hose from the head to the tower because that nipple is displaced, and a few feet of heater hose. Total cost I forget but quite reasonable and also way less than replacing that bizarre hose once.

I can chase down p/n if you need; they may also be on the GoWesty description of what they did, I forget. My presumption is that the A/T began that way and then VW thought it would be better the other way, whether functionally or manufacturing or whatever. I thought the previous one looked pretty reasonable although the flow pattern was slightly different.

Cheers, David