Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:59:00 -0700
From:         Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: To use Bars Leaks or not.....

Bryan,

I dealt with this problem over the summer. Was a tough job, but most of us can do it ourselves. There are many written things around, including the archives, that were essential to self replacement of the water pump.

So, - had it replaced 3 years ago by a shop, was around $400.00 total (must have included the parts and new coolant). I suspect that price would be a little higher now 3.5 years later. - replaced it myself in August, only cost was a couple of tools (maybe $20) and coolant ($15.00) since I had the WP in my boxes of parts. Took me probably 6 hours as a WP replacement newbie, but everthing came out fine.

If you don't want to get greasy and twist your arms let a pro do it.

Even better, I suggest to loosen the alternator / belt and wiggle the water pump pulley. Mine was really loose and it would wiggle side to side. However I had the scary noise for months beforehand, and it never failed completely. But then I had a good suspicion what was wrong and never went far from home.

Roland