Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:24:55 -0400
From:         B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Mechanics using customer supplied parts.. Was bars leaks

>> If you have a mechanic that refuses to warranty parts not purchased through him, I can fully understand his postion, however to refuse to install anything that he didn't sell you is an indicator that you need to consider a new wrench. As times get tighter and the willing spenders become fewer in number some attitudes along these lines will change.

My Vanagon Shop will install whatever proper part you bring, but only warranty the labor and installation, not the part. So if it falls off, he'll fix it, if it breaks you pay to fix it. Pretty fair I'd say. (Kudos to StephansAutohaus, Sacramento, an oasis of service and professionalism in a desert of mediocrity) <<

Good topic. I've always had mechanics that would put in parts that I knew were considerably cheaper than what they could get. My current mechanic had no problem with it and would even stop work to call me to say I need "x" part and if I could get it cheaper at say BD or somewhere else. I never abused this by showing up with spark plugs and distributer caps but a $99 BD muffler beats $300 from the dealer, no matter if he added a "secret markup". Unfortunatly my mechanic had a fallout with his partner and closed shop and now he works for a shop nearby as regular mechanic and the owner HATES that I bring parts. He gave my wife the nastiest look when she was dragging my BD EV muffler into the shop last week. I even gave them the chance to find a non-dealer muffler for the EV and they cound not. If they ever tell me to stop bringing my own stuff I'll find another mechanic.

Bryan