Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Sep 2009 22:00:15 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wheel strength , cast vs forged, TUV
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@mac.com>

I'll not go into the "outback" with alloy wheels. I've been there, done that and had a couple of close calls as well as some "Boy, am I glad I learned my lesson and we have steel wheels THIS trip" episodes.

Waay off the main road (which is not very Main anyway) on the Baja penninsula we fractured (no longer functional at all) a cast aluminum Ford Factory alloy rim on my pickup...70-some miles back to the highway and from there another 400 miles to an auto parts supplier. We had two spares, luckily. Flatted again with another nicked rim that would not take air after we mounted a booted repaired tire onto it. Fixed that using surfboard epoxy and then side tracked (without a spare now) to the nears Llanterra (tire shop) with a working compressor capable of putting 65lbs into that tire...but we still had just one questionable spare left...and 70 miles of washboard and rocks to go to get to 'iffy' pavement...All because I ordered the 'cool looking wheels' for my new truck... I vowed never again and the very next winter that proved a good decision as I badly bent one of my now factory steel wheels but was able to bash it back into shape enough to hold the bead...used a smooth boulder off the beach..That time, we didn't have to cut short our trip and we continued on down the remote back "roads" of Baja... No, you can keep your purty alloy rims for the forest service campsites or the KOAs adjacent to the interstates..but I'd rather have steel rims when I'm going out in the rough stuff..

Don Hanson