Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:20:06 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Is it the waterpump... Hear it live...
Comments: To: B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

Interesting technique for analyzing engine noises!!. I found it hard to tell what was going on as you moved from area to area it sounded like you propped the cheater bar(holding the mic) against something solid on the van and those vibrations pretty much masked any noise we might've been able to hear. I'd try the recording again, but this time have it on something like a wood stick and don't have it touch anything on the vehicle. Describe the area you are recording as before, but don't get the microphone any closer to the area than your ear can get, otherwise we'll hear sounds from the recording that we can't possibly recognize due to the fact that our ears can't get there in the first place. Shouldn't take a stethoscope to hear a bad water pump.

For your next test, you might want to warm the engine up enough to get the desired noise active again, then shut down, remove the alternator/water pump belt, start the motor up and run it for maybe 10 or 15 seconds MAXIMUM(so you don't overheat the motor with no coolant flowing), to see if the noise went away. Once you have shut the motor down this time and while the belt is off, I check for wobble in the water pump pulley by grabbing it at 12 and 6 o'clock and push/pull it front to back to look for play. Spin the alternator by hand and listen for a non--smooth sounding ballsy rumble. Fifteen seconds with no water pump shouldn't create a problem and is plenty of time to hear whether you have less racket than before.

Just my .02

DM&FS

At 08:03 AM 9/17/2009, B Feddish wrote: >OK, I just recorded my engine in the parking lot at work. I am putting a >cheater bar up to the mic to listen to engine sounds. Whats everyones >concesus on that water pump? > >http://www.feddishbasses.com/vw click on the link at the top. > >Thanks, >Bryan