Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:14:46 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Mechanics using customer supplied parts.. Was bars leaks
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

Thank you.

So why people bring their own part?

To save money is one, difficult part to get is #2, in the tuner world, some mechanic will ask that the customers get everything himself and that's is fine.

That said, some parts are available online and with a price tag, customers are quite aware. Ex: Fuel tank at BS is 159$ USD, about 185 CAD, not ship and no custom. My cost price for a fuel tank is 235$ CAD (made locally, very good quality), i sell this one for 290$ + installation. I think it's a fair price and the profit is welcome. So if a guy as is own tank i loose 55$ on a 1.5hours job. Of course i will also loose all the westy talk time, so over all it take like 4.5 hours of my time in one day, i make 100$ on labour and nothing on the tank. I am aware of that i'm am sick and tired of trying to justify myself. So I don't no more, i just don't care. Not happy, go elsewhere.

So don't ask me why i'm not doing normal maintenance anymore. Any newcomer mechanic will do anything to get new customers. But he will realize pretty quickly that it's not good money when his compressor break down.

This as been discuss here before, like anything else. The one with business fully understand the situation, the one with normal job don't, period.

So don't come to my shop with your own parts, nop! unless i ask you to and you better have the right parts.

Doing stuff like brake, or anything under a car is real good money as to part profit, i mean big time. Doing insurance claim for body work is the way to go, very good money also. Doing full paint job / body work like I do on rusty van is simply plain stupid financially. The Subi conversion is ok to good money if i have to change a bunch of other parts like starter, radiator, axle, muffler... Me stupid, but I get it this year.

Why don't you think i don't even touch old VW Bus's no more. Lack of parts, van stuck on my lift because i don't have the part i just broke trying to fix something else. That problem is slowly including the Vanagon.

To keep running a Vanagon repair business you need to make good money to compensate for the job that don't or didn't pay before.

It took me some years to stop worrying about the invoice i was doing after a job, even me i was like: Men it's to much $$$, i felt bad, got to remove some... Today, i don't even care. Come with me work for a week and you will go back in your nice office.

This morning i can't stop cuffing, i forgot to put my mask yesterday night (yea, night!) wile sanding a van, even with the mask i still cuff.

So please, if you have a good and honest mechanic stop bringing you parts, and be happy that he make a bit more money with you instead of trying to save a few $$$.

It's a business. Not happy, get dirty!

Regards, Ben http://www.benplace.com