Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:02:28 -0400
From:         VW Doka <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mechanics using customer supplied parts.. Was bars leaks

I've been in and around the automotive repair business since I was a wee lad (think 1960's), and it has always been the general rule that labor pays the overhead and parts make the profit.

Just my experience.

Cheers,

Jeff

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > That's just perfect Mark!   =) > > On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:41 AM, Mark Dearing <VWBrain@aol.com> wrote: > >> In a message dated 9/16/2009 11:20:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, >> thargrav@HIWAAY.NET writes: >> >> I have a  very different opinion. >> >> A friend who is dead now, used to work on all  my stuff I could not get to, >> would not let customers bring in their own  parts. He stated more than once >> that he was tired of customers bringing in  used stuff that often was not >> in >> any better shape than what he pulled off  and he was tired of customers >> bringing in incorrect parts. >> >> He would  let customers pick up & pay for parts with their own money >> provided >> he  ordered what was needed. >> >> As far as cost is concerned? Shops do get a  discount, but they should, and >> they should make a profit on the parts they  buy to install on your >> Vanagon. >> It's just a part of business, like gasoline  at a gas station or milk from >> WallyWorld. >> >> Thanks, >> Tom  Hargrave >> 256-656-1924 >> >> Our Web  Sites: >> www.kegkits.com >> www.stir-plate.com >> www.andyshotsauce.com >> >> >> -----Original  Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM]  On Behalf >> Of >> B >> Feddish >> Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 7:25  PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Mechanics using customer  supplied parts.. Was bars leaks >> >> >> If you have a mechanic that  refuses to warranty parts not purchased >> through him, I can fully understand  his postion, however to refuse to >> install anything that he didn't sell you  is an indicator that you need to >> consider a new wrench.  As times get  tighter and the willing spenders >> become >> fewer in number some attitudes  along these lines will change. >> >> My Vanagon Shop will install whatever  proper part you bring, but only >> warranty the labor and installation, not  the part.  So if it falls off, >> he'll fix it, if it breaks you pay to  fix it.  Pretty fair I'd say. >>  (Kudos >> to StephansAutohaus,  Sacramento, an oasis of service and professionalism >> in >> a desert of  mediocrity) << >> >> Good topic.  I've always had mechanics that  would put in parts that I knew >> were considerably cheaper than what they  could get. My current mechanic >> had >> no problem with it and would even stop  work to call me to say I need "x" >> part and if I could get it cheaper at say  BD or somewhere else.  I never >> abused this by showing up with spark  plugs and distributer caps but a $99 >> BD >> muffler beats $300 from the dealer,  no matter if he added a "secret >> markup". >> Unfortunatly my mechanic had a  fallout with his partner and closed shop >> and >> now he works for a shop nearby  as regular mechanic and the owner HATES >> that >> I bring parts. He gave my wife  the nastiest look when she was dragging my >> BD >> EV muffler into the shop last  week. I even gave them the chance to find a >> non-dealer muffler for the EV  and they cound not.  If they ever tell me to >> stop bringing my own  stuff I'll find another mechanic. >> >> Bryan >> >> >> >> hey guys  what I do is tell the customer this,  first no  quarantee of any >> kind, second if it is the wrong part and I have to reinstall  your old part >> till the correct part comes in I have to charge you for the job  and then >> again when I do it again, third if it is the wrong part and the vehicle  is >> stuck on my lift then it is $50/hour when it is sitting there waiting on >> you >> to get me the correct part.  last my labor rate for your parts just went >> up.  This is when they normally tell me to get the correct  parts     later >> mark  dearing >> > > > > -- > Jake > > 1984 Vanagon GL > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > > Crescent Beach, BC > > www.thebassspa.com > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27 >