Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:29:27 -0700
From:         jon <jon@KENNEKE.COM>
Subject:      Re: To use Bars Leaks or not.....
Comments: To: B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>

I've used both Bars leak stop-leak and the head gasket repair stuff.

Both work. And, both are not anything near a permanent fix. However, here are my experiences:

1) My 1983 diesel Vanagon has a small leak in the radiator. I put in a tube (or two?) of Bars Leak, and it stopped leaking. I forgot about it until a year later, when it let loose and was a huge leak. Replaced the radiator at that point.

2) In a 1986 2.1 WBX, one of the head gaskets were leaking. Didn't want to do (or pay for) that job at the time. So, I used the Head Gasket repair stuff. That involves draining the coolant, etc. But, it held for over a year. And, when it stopped holding, the time was perfect to pay to have the job done right.

So, give it a shot. I'd certainly do it. It's not magic stuff, but it can work, and work well. YMMV.

Jon