Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:29:37 -0400
From:         Karl <tdiguru@WESTYVENTURES.COM>
Subject:      Re: 82 diesel intermediate shaft pulley
Comments: To: Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@GMAIL.COM>

Alan, VW did away with the flange because in some cases the timing belt would wear the edge off and the resulting jagged edge quickly destroyed the belt. All replacements and everything since (including TDIs) use the flat pulley with no edge flange, this works perfectly. In the past I have machined the flanged pulleys down to duplicate the later style. So, the pulley you are getting will be just fine, better in fact than what you had there originally.

Karl

Alan Felder wrote: > Volks - I will be posting this on the diesel vanagon group list, so please > pardon the overkill, but I am in need of some info pretty quick. > > Yesterday, while pulling my int shaft pulley to fix a leaky seal, I broke > the pulley (ribbed belt pulley). My part has 068 115 021 on it, no suffix. > ETKA says this part was replaced with suffix A in 1977, five years before my > Vanagon was built. It has a thin flange around the edge, which is the part > that broke (about 1 inch long section cracked off). ETKA says that for all > years of diesel vanagon that pulley should be the suffix D, which has no > flange. > > I also have the original single timing belt cover setup as in ETKA > illustration 8-20 as is expected with my 82, that is, without the bottom > belt cover, without the backing plate and newer injection pump mount, etc. > > I am in need of a new pulley and a used one will be here on tuesday, but it > will not have the flanges on it, and probably is suffix D version. Will > this work or will the belt slip off causing catastrophic failure? I am > thinking it will not because of the tensioner flange but I better check here > with the higher authorities first. Any and all comments welcome. > > > -- > Alan Felder > Austin TX > 82 Diesel Westy >