Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Sep 2009 22:42:48 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CA smog situation 84 1.9
Comments: To: Leonard Anthony <whitewatering@GMAIL.COM>

The HC going up as rpm increases definitely indicates a problem. Ignition miss, valves or rings. A lifter loosing oil will not cause it to collapse unless the spring inside it broke. The sudden excess clearance could be caused by a push rod that was not properly seated in the lifter, the lifter broke or the top actually collapsed under the cam, or more likely the valve is seizing in the guide or the valve seat is falling out. Also, 150 psi compression is not that great. You really need to do a leak down test to determine the health of the top half of the engine.

Ideally a properly running engine with a good cat should get you near 0 on the CO and HC readings.

Dennis

Hi Volks,

Here are the numbers: %CO2 Idle 12.64 2500 rpm 14.56

% O2 Idle 3.0 2500 rpm 0.4

HC Idle 94 ppm Max 120 (pass)

*HC 2500 rpm 169 ppm Max 150 (fail)*

CO idle 0.00 pass CO 2500 rpm .02 pass

Compression 150 on all 4

I now seem to be able to search the archives, and found some great help from some of Dennis Haynes (he's awesome) posted answers, but could not find his write up article that is supposed to be out there somewhere. If anyone has it and could send it to me that would be great, although from what I gleaned I think I have a lean miss-fire. Possibly an ignition issue but I'm more suspecting a small intake leak or sticky or bad valve. I do have a misbehaving lifter, I'm wondering if it could be causing the valve problem? So I'm guessing my next step - replace the lifter, check again for leaks, then do a leak down test. Never done a leak down test but found out how in the archives (Thanks, Dennis). In 30 years of driving, (mostly Japanese cars) never needed one! Blessed be my 90 Pathfinder with 330,000 miles still going strong.

I also noticed that my maximum limits seem to be set lower that other CA list members vanagon smog tests. Most posts report California limits for HC's idle as 150 idle & 180 @ 2500 rpm. (I would have passed!). Does anyone have a recent test they can look at to see if they lowered our limits? I've read somewhere that our vans need to be put on the test as a truck, rather than a passenger vehicle. At the top of my test it was put in as a passenger vehicle. DMV confirmed it is a truck, but the BAR guy said it doesn't make a difference because the machine only really sees the VIN. Although it would seem a good running engine should be within the 120/150 that I seem to be held to anyway, but It would seem that we should be all held to the same standard.

from my post yesterday I have had some good responses on how to squeak by, (Thanks everyone)! but I'm still wondering about my sudden lifter failure/evacuation. Does this ever happen on these engines? I'm worried there might be more something more substantial going on, such as a seat problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Leonard