Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Sep 2009 17:58:18 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Photos posted from Van-O-Rama #9
Comments: To: Van O Rama <van.o.rama@gmail.com>

Hello Folks,

My apologies to those on multiple Lists because this will crosspost.

I finally have the majority of the pics posted from the weekend. We weren't able to get everybody but got pretty close to it. Many thanks to Mike Miller, Paul Henderson, and Werner Schink for helping take photos during the day. I do have a lot more pics but these are representative of what happened. It was clear who the star of the day was. I have more than two dozen pics of Stephan White's Orly Blue Syncro Westy with the 1.8T conversion. Not only was the engine well-executed but Stephan had a SPARE engine on a carrier made to slide onto the stock seat rails.

http://picasaweb.google.com/van.o.rama/VanORama2009#

This was the 1.8T invasion. Ed Brooks from Santa Cruz (Titian Red Westy) and Werner Schink (light blue Westy) brought their own 1.8T rigs. Werner's was the Guinea Pig that set Stephan on this road. Ed rolled his own with some parts from Stephan and others.

The normally well represented Subie contingent had a couple. Both looked like Savana Beige though Jon's might be closer to gold. Bruce Campisi & Jon Slider had non-turbo versions in their respective Syncros. Bruce's rig is a Syncro converted with a Country Homes poptop & IIRC a Westy interior. Jon had his converted by Seth Harfield. His camper is a full Westy featuring a nice assortment of self-recovery gear under the rear bench. Jon is a recent transplant to Santa Cruz from New Mexico. Jon fired up a mini-grill & made some Tandori chicken to share. Yummy.

Brent Harris brought his Titian Red Syncro Westy with the self-installed TDI. His front license plate show evidence of trail rash though you wouldn't his Westy has ever been off the beaten path just by looking at it. Brent must have a good car washer or it's that nice GoWesty bumper hiding the scars. =) Off the far end, Stacy Scheider and son Sam (not that's "Son of Sam") brought Shaun Supanich's White Syncro Westy with a pumpe duese installed by Tassi's. I believe, Claro Bermillo should get the credit for most of the work that went into that rig. The engine came from Overland but little else did. In fact the one and only PD that Overland had ready to go gave up it's wiring harness for replication so they can start selling their kit. Yes, Shaun has a GW bumper too but with a Gary Lee winch mount. Note damage to passenger side of bumper.

First on the ground was Ted Knudsen and his kids. They also had a pal along in his Subaru Legacy wagon. He brought his daughter with him as well. He was smart to park the Subie on the opposite side lest someone mistake it for an engine donor. The kids were all so well-behaved and just picture perfect. That was until their little tumtums started grumbling. Off to Costco they went for pizza & dogs.

Karen Greenberg from Santa Cruz had the sole Adventurewagen on the lot. She pushed that puppy over highway 17 even with a leaking headgasket. She gets A+ for effort and extra, extra credit for the shrimp cocktail. She wants to remodel her AW interior for a different reason than most. She said she can fit sideways onto the bench so no need for such a space hog of an AW bed. As far as camping goes, Karen is size-advantaged. He is to a typical Vanagon driver as Vanagons are to Winniebagos. We know who comes out ahead.

Chris Shaul from the East Bay came in his Blue Wolfsburg Edition Tiico. As the only Tiico in the event, his rig wins the best Tiico Blaustar award. =) Parked next to Chris is Craig Forney's White Wolfy (or Whitestar in Germany). Both Craig and Chris resurrected their Wolfies which had blown headgaskets (REALLY?! bad gaskets in a Vanagon?)

Paul Henderson who hasn't been at a VOR since some 10 years ago for our trial meet in Emeryville finally made it back. Since he was taking pics, it now looks like nobody got pics of his Blue Westy. Paul stayed late and was the one who got all the photos of the converted Sprinter that Paul & Dottie Guzyk drove down from their Oregon trip.

I can't remember if Jeff Vickers blue Syncro Westy from Marin has a Subie motor or stock. He has that blue Syncro with recovery hooks welded to the stock inner bumper. His grill sports a bike sprocket around the VW grill emblem.

Michael Hart's White Westy GoWesty bumpers made their introduction to the parks lamp post. Fortunately, neither the GW bumper or the lamp post sustained any obvious damage. That was a rather dramatic entrance as the pole rang for a good 30 seconds after. Michael was Mr. Sushiman last year. This year he brought some pastries to share. Apple for me and I don't care what anybody else got. Yum.

Paul Federson and his doggie popped in from the East Bay. For those of you who are not acquainted with Paul, he's one of those crazy yet admirable people who are talented enough to convert their 2wd into a Syncro. His maroon (?) Westy sports the 2wd gas filler hole. I had to do a double take to check if the characteristic Syncro filler hole is there too. I forgot to ask if the front is connected to a secodn tank or just sitting there.

Kim Springer and son Nathan came in Daddy's white Swedish 2wd Tristar. Note the puddle of water under Kim's Doka is not from a leaky headgasket. It's got a 112i Wasserboxer but not it is not leaking. That's condensation from the custom AC Kim installed under the rear bench. It was so humid that day that his Tristar was sweating like Mike Miller on top of a Burningvan bonfire.

Let's not forget my buddy Mike Miller. That's him lurking in his Country Homes Syncro with Westy interior. At first glance he looked like some sort pigeon eater but he swears it was just chicken. Mike ran around writing names and vehicle descriptions just in case he or I could not remember who was in what van. As it turns out, despite lack of sleep, I was able to sort out almost everyone who came to be introduced.

Last but not least, Paul & Dottie Guzyk deserves recognition was driving all day from Oregon and coming straight to Van-O-Rama before even setting foot at home. I'll let the pics speak for themselves. Paul normally drives in a Syncro but have dropped in twice in the aforementioned Sprinter.

Come and join us next time. The 10th Anniversary of Van-O-Rama will be on the Saturday after Labor in 2010. I will work on getting t-shirts made for that event.

Oh yeah, I was there too.

-- BenT

ps: Mario, Ed was looking for you.