Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:40:40 -0700
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shift rod freeplay - what is it? Was: Alternatives to
              standard transmissions: What is possible?

Some rebuild thoughts also posted to groups.yahoo.subaruvanagon

A quality rebuild will include all new necessary gear pairs, all new bearings including the hard to remove needle bearing that supports one end of the mainshaft. It will include the version 3 of the 3-4 slider hub, a previously common failure. It will include assessment of the ring and pinion wear and re-shimming or replacement if necessary. You will have the opportunity to change the ring and pinion to accomodate the newfound power and torque vs rpm and if you're planning to upgrade the wheels to 15" you should consider what gearset you might like to have. Perhaps a higher 4th. There are tools in the files area to help you decide. For a little more money you can install heavy duty "mineola" gears, stronger than the VAG sets but noisier. There may also be a choice of 'syncronizers'. You can research the group wisdom on lubricant suitable for your driving style. Many choose Redline or Swepco. You don't want to spend the money only to wear out the transmission with an inappropriate lubricant. For a top flight job from AA, Transaxleengineering or German Transaxle or similar, you should salt away 2000+US just for the rebuild parts and labor. R&R is extra of course. It pays to have a quote rather than an estimate for the rebuild so the expectations on both sides of the transaction are well understood before the work starts. It also pays to be sure what gearset you want and communicate that on the workorder you sign before work begins. This should include a detailed written warranty in case things don't go as planned.

Be absolutely sure that the conversion shop or the re-installer of your fresh transaxle understands the amount of fore and aft freeplay at the shift rod when the transmission is installed. My installer didn't and it cost me another rebuild 1600 miles after the first rebuild. Ugh. Also you might have them check the ball and socket wear on the 'peace pipe' and shifter ball at the transmission. Theyr'e exposed to the elements and wear out causing shifting difficulties that could damage the rebuilt transmisson internally. Also you may want to consider upgrading the clutch system while the transaxle is benched. I have had good experiences with pressure plates and clutch disks from K.E.P. (Hobert Kennedy) ask their recommendations they are very knowledgeable on these matters.

Another side issue was discussed some time back regarding the two lower bolts that hold the whole shebang together. Be sure your installer uses SAE grade 8 equivalent or Metric 10.9. These two fasteners are critical as the engine/transaxle is held together by these two bolts. If they stretch or break under tension very expensive bad things happen. My installer used an insufficent grade of fastener costing me a fractured bellhousing. The bellhousing is magnalloy (grey metal) and not easily welded. A search of the archives in 2006 or so will help you understand. If the bolts loosen and you don't notice it can be much worse than just a fractured bellhousing. The problem being addressed by the higher grade fasteners is one of dynamic loading and yield of the bolt itself. But all that is in the notes. I have some of the 10.9 longer bolts from the first order available at cost + ship. Many builders also replace the Kennedy studs with high tensile throughbolts. Leon Korkin on this list can help explain the process.

Concerning horsepower and torque: The main concern is torque and loading. The 091 transaxle will handle any horsepower motor as long as you dont' USE all that torque. The stresses on the transaxle have to do with how it is loaded by the demands of acceleration, towing, climbing and so on. The thrust you generate with the throttle that pushes you along is passed through the transmission as torque. The more torque you desire, the more stresses on the innards, the faster it will wear out over time or the sooner it will break. Stronger gears can help. Smoother driving can help, Good choice of lubricants can help. In the end the transmission will wear out, hopefully many years and many thousands of happy miles down the road. My original transmission and clutch went 148K miles.

I have personal excellent experiences with K.E.P, AATransaxle, Transaxleengineering, Weddle, and Tom Lengyel who did Warren's transmission work. I will be posting photos of the innards of my 094 transmission along with comparative photos of the 3-4 slider hub and heavy duty vs standard gears. I can provide contact information on these folks if you like.

Good luck on your upcoming marriage. Don't drive it like you stole it and it'll be along time before she starts to whine about things.

Al

On 9/24/09, Luke Bakken <luke.bakken@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Be absolutely sure that the conversion shop or the re-installer of your > fresh transaxle understands the amount of fore and aft freeplay at the shift > rod when the transmission is installed. My installer didn't and it cost me > another rebuild 1600 miles after the first rebuild. > > Is this freeplay described in the Bentley anywhere or can you describe > it to me? I had Daryl rebuild my transaxle and everything seems to be > shifting fine since I put it back in about 1,000 miles ago, but I was > not aware of this shift rod freeplay and how to check it. > > Thanks, > Luke >