Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:27:23 -0800
From:         Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Trip Report ( Long!) Eagle, AK

Trip Report

In early August my wife, her 16yr old daughter Julia (celebrated b-day in Eagle), our 6yr old son Colin, Maggie our Great Dane and I took a 7 day trip from Anchorage to Eagle, AK and back in our `87 Westy Syncro. A late start out of Anchorage saw us departing about 5PM Saturday the 8th. We stopped in Palmer to visit my wife’s parents whom were participating in Palmers version of Hot August Nights car show on the main street. After viewing the cars, eating dinner and visiting with friends and family we headed North on the Glenn Highway to get as far up the road as we could for the day. Eagle is approx. 510 road miles from Anchorage with several mountain passes (5-9% grades) and 100 miles of two lane dirt “highway” along the way.

The van ran well though is now a bit slower on the uphill grades due to the recent installation of 215/75R15 BFG’s on S A alloys. The tires had been on the van for a week prior to the trip and it was only the day before we departed that the clamshell modifications were finished allowing a fully inflated spare to be carried. So far we are very pleased with the tires and they are a lot quieter than I expected them to be.

Saturday night we camped at a roadside pullout next to the Chistochina River after stopping for gas in Glennallen. Shortly before we stopped for the night one of several moose we saw ran out into the highway turned away from us and zigzagged up the road while I did my best to stop the van without hitting it. This reinforced my resolve to get the E-code headlights installed. They are ready except for finding a decent quality pigtail to replace the stock 9004 bulb connectors. A big brake kit may be in order.

Sunday morning we awoke to cloudy skies and a light sprinkle that grew steadily harder as we drove toward Tok, our next refueling stop and where we ate breakfast. Tok was uneventful except for the dog eating a package of hotdog buns when left alone in the van. She is a new addition to the family and evidently has a couple of bad habits that our other Dane does not. After a quick stop at the store to replace the buns we headed East toward Tetlin Junction where we would turn North onto the Taylor Highway.

The Taylor Highway climbs up and down the mountain sides offering panoramic views in every direction. Large swaths of the countryside along it have experienced forest fires in the last 5-10 years and burnt trees, ok we call them trees but they are more like giant toothpicks, cover the hills and valleys as far as you can see. About seventy to eighty miles in we came to the town using the term loosely, of Chicken. The gold miners that first settled there wanted to call it Ptarmigan (silent “P”) but could not spell it so they chose Chicken. Ptarmigan are prevalent throughout Alaska and are our official State bird. Chicken consists of a combination fuel stop, gift shop, RV park and camping area. There is also a café, gift shop, and of course bar. There is also an airport and the main attraction, an old floating gold dredge now on dry land and open for tours. We did not take the tour this time but might next time we are in the area. Twenty or so miles out of Chicken we came to a fork in the road, straight would put us on The Top of The World Highway and in a few miles would cross the Border into Canada but we turned left staying on the Taylor Hwy and headed for Eagle. Here the road winds along the ridges and drops into a few canyons where it narrows to one lane in places, and yes we call it a highway. It had been raining since we broke camp that morning and as only the first 60 or so miles of the Taylor are paved both road and van were quite muddy by now. As it was the day before caribou season was opening every possible place to pull off of the road and a few places on the road were filled with trucks, SUV’s, RV’s, trailers, four wheelers, and even a few horse trailers. Makes you wonder how much that caribou costs per pound when you add in the $40,000 truck, a trailer, four wheelers, rifles, and assorted other gear. The rains let up as we covered the last few miles and dropped down the hillside into Eagle on the shore of the Yukon River.

After a short drive around Eagle to familiarize ourselves with the area we headed out to the BLM campground north of town. The campground has 16 spaces of which only a couple would be suitable for larger RV’s, most are for car or tent camping. There is good separation between the sites and all have fire rings and picnic tables. The area is quiet with only the sounds of wind in the tree tops, a few birds, and a stream below the hill upon which the campground sits. The closest neighbors to the campground are exceptionally quiet and well behaved as they reside in a small cemetery dating back to the early 1900’s when nearby Fort Egbert was active.

Eagle, AK consists of two separate parts, the native village to the South and the “White” settlement to the North. As is common with riverside communities the centers of both are/were located along the waterfront. I say were because in early May of this year ice jams on the Yukon River caused extensive damage to both as ice and water spilled over the banks of the river. The native area was wiped out completely and the white settlement suffered extensive damage. Flooding here is extremely rare as Eagle is so far up the Yukon River it is almost at the Canadian border. This year early thawing on the upper river created a lot of water and ice with no place to go but over the banks.

Sunday evening we made camp and settled down for the night. Monday morning after a late breakfast we went and found Rob the volunteer coordinator and signed up to help with the cleanup and reconstruction. We spent the rest of the week working on cleanup, salvage, materials distribution, and construction. Salvage mainly consisted of roof trusses, windows, and anything that was sturdy enough to stand up to being flooded and pushed around by the river ice. Good building materials are hard to come by and expensive to ship into remote areas like Eagle so if it could be saved it was. The work force consisted of two organized groups Samaritans Purse, and Mennonite Disaster Services, and a loose bunch of volunteers that like my family showed up to help. Some were from Alaska others came from Oregon, Michigan, and the rest of the US. One hard working young lady “Sina” was from Switzerland. She is traveling the world and decided she would stop in and help out while in Alaska. The days were long with breakfast served from 6:30 – 8:00AM then off to work until lunch at noon, back to work at 1:00PM and dinner at 6:00PM. The crews building cabins would continue to work after dinner stopping a couple hours later as light ran out. Long days but necessary when you consider the short construction season in Alaska. The goal was to have all the new cabins built by mid September so their owners would have time to get settled in before the snows came and road closes for winter. Tuesday August 11th was Julia’s 16th birthday and it was one she will never forget. She helped pull sheets of salvaged plywood out of the woods and load a large pile of trash and flood debris into the scoop of a loader for removal to the dump. The locals and volunteers working the mess hall found out about her birthday and surprised her with a cake complete with candles presented to her after dinner while everyone in the hall sang. I have never seen her blush as much as she did when the cake came out to the tune of Happy Birthday.

All too quickly the week came to an end and Friday evening after one last dinner in the mess hall we said our good byes and hit the road headed for Chicken and fuel. Had we been more on top of it we would have refueled in Eagle but as I was working all day we never thought about it until it was time to go and the gas station was closed for the night. Had we done so we would not have made the stop in Chicken, nor met Juan and Sara on the way home so it all worked out for the better this way. We drove out of Eagle into the setting sun across the ridge tops until dark fell and with it a light rain. About 30 miles from Chicken a trail off the road took us to a clearing atop a small bluff where we camped for the night. Up early Saturday morning we broke camp and drove into Chicken for fuel and breakfast at the Chicken Café. To anyone traveling the Taylor Highway we highly recommend stopping at the Café. On the counter there were at least eight fresh made pies, two huge sheets of brownies, another of cookies, and cinnamon rolls. All made from scratch and very tasty. We ate what we could of the generous servings of eggs and bacon putting the leftovers in our fridge for later. While there we chatted with the owner who told us of her 18yr old son whom she had just gotten off the phone with. He was calling to tell her of the apartment he had just rented in Paris where he will be attending a prestigious school on a full scholarship. I would love to be there when his new friends and classmates hear of his life growing up in Chicken, AK. The clientele of one Café in Paris during lunch would out number the population of Chicken, AK.

The journey from Chicken to Anchorage was for the most part uneventful. The weather improved from a light sprinkle to overcast though there were strong cross winds from Chistochina through Tolsona Lake. Cruising south on the Glenn Highway near the Matanuska Glacier we came up behind a short line of slower moving traffic. When we could see the front vehicle it was a Vanagon Syncro. As we followed along behind it we scoped out the full length roof rack loaded with gear, two bikes were on a hitch mounted carrier. It was sporting Nevada plates, LT style mirrors and was obviously lifted and running large tires(225/80R16). Up front was a bumper with winch and the rear had a tube bumper. After following them for a number of miles we passed them waving to each other as we went by. Just outside of Palmer we pulled over and flagged them down. Inside were Juan and Sara two wandering souls that departed Nevada in July on a journey that will take them to Alaska then down through Canada and the US heading for Florida in December. From there they will cut across the southern States turning south into Mexico and make their way to Juan’s homeland of Argentina.

We invited them to stay with us while in Anchorage and they spent the week at our house exploring the area and doing a little maintenance and repair work on the van. The following Saturday we loaded the kayaks on top of our van and caravanned with them to Seward for an overnight kayak camping trip to Caines Head at the mouth of Resurrection Bay. Sunday evening after paddling back over calm water with dolphins swimming nearby to our launch site we ate dinner at Ray’s our favorite dining establishment in Seward and parted company with Juan and Sara. They stayed to explore the Kenai Peninsula and do some fishing and we headed home to chores and work the next morning. This was not the last we saw of them but that is for another story. For more on the adventures of Juan and Sara go to their blogsite mixingamerica.com.ar. I will post a link to photos of this and other trips on picasaweb soon.

Mark in AK