Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:44:56 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's that?

On 9/25/2009 4:50 PM Dave Mcneely wrote:

> I have a sister who is majorly into RVing, as in traveling for weeks > and weeks in her (barely) portable (big) house. She's never been to an > actual campground, needless to mention a primitive spot. She takes her > little dog, and cooks pot roast, and watches TV...

A-yup. I've a sister-in-law who does the same. She ties up her Class C in mobile home parks and Kampgrounds where there are many upper middle-class RVs, well-tended grass, a laundry room, a small store, a gatekeeper, etc.

I think that women alone feel safer in places where a man might find confining (I'm Gaussian curving here). It's taken me a long time to tune into how insecure -- and certainly not without reason* -- the unaccompanied woman feels. Mrs Squirrel feels unsafe sleeping alone in the house at night.

Just because I will pick up whatever instrument of destruction is close to hand** and wander downstairs to find out what "that noise" was doesn't mean she's any safer. Her faith in me as her big, strong protector is, I assure you, entirely misplaced.

BUT BACK TO VANAGON CONTENT. Wait -- there isn't any.

How about hearing from some women (Joy?) who travel alone? How spooky is that for you?

=========== * Didn't a young woman traveling alone in a Vanagon run into something horrible at a rest stop just a few years ago?

** Recently it was a toilet plunger. I am amazed that she still finds having me around reassuring even after witnessing that clownery. Like, what was I going to do? Smother an intruder? Women. Go figure.

N.B. I am striving for gerry.vanagon.com's "David Foster Wallace memorial footnotes derby" award for 2009. Won't someone please nominate me?

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) Bend, OR KG6RCR