Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:41:28 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's that? - a single woman's view/Plus a single man's

Having nothing to do with my defining camping, but barging in on Joy's take on her defining it for herself,related to both perceived and real (who's to decide until it's too late?) threats.

I went over to the Bay area (San Mateo, CA) for a reunion of employees of an airline I worked for back in the 70's a couple weeks ago (9/19/09 Reunion Day). Camped at So. Lake Tahoe on the way over and in Yosemite (Porcupine Campground) on the way back home on Sunday afternoon.

There was an occupied campsite next to me with no vehicle, but one person and cooking/chairs, etc. debris all over the area. Later that afternoon a Eurovan pulled in with 2 other people in it. No particular curiosity or interaction between us, I waved but no response. Next morning I had breakfast and headed for the restroom for my final break. I had left the side slider open with the screen door installed and zipped closed. The "can" was perhaps 100' from the van. When I got back and went into my van I noticed the smell of propane and thought my Propex heater connection was leaking so turned the valve next to the propane tank off, along with the tank valve off as well. No change and I figured it was just residual. By the time I was just about finished getting things buttoned up and ready to hit the road, I noticed that the left stove knob was at full open, all the way left. Hmmmmmmm??

When I made coffee for the French Press, I heated water on that grill and shut it off probably an hour prior to going to the can and there was no propane smell then. Anyway, I turned the knob all the way right then the valve on the propane tank outside and was on my way. When I left the campsite, the man with the Eurovan looked my way and I both nodded and waved and he just turned his head away.

It wasn't until I was on the road and underway that it occurred to me that he was acting strangely (avoidant.... had done so since the evening before) and I wondered if it was he that had come over and turned the knob on the stove on while I was in the can?

I've had Westy's since '88 and have never left the stove on. The flame won't go out if you turn the knob all the way left, just goes to a very small flame.

So, there's my "bear-in-the-woods" story. Make of it what you will.

bob .... loved the trip, the camping, but a little suspicious of some Volks. ;-) I found Yosemite Canter to be "trashed" with people. I had wanted to go for some hikes in there but felt overwhelmed by the people-pollution ... the reason I left California in '83. I can recommend the Hoskasen Petroglyphs/Campground about 50 miles west of Eureka on US-50. BLM and free, but unfortunately some of the glyphs have been trashed by some of the "teens-with-beer" or something. That's beyond my comprehension?