Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Sep 2009 12:48:26 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Science of Washboarding
Comments: To: Thomas Buese <tombuese@COMCAST.NET>

On 9/27/2009 11:47 AM Thomas Buese wrote:

> 26 miles of washboard trying the slow 5-12 mph & sometimes the 30-35 > mph, float over the washboard, literally melted the tops of the shocks, > blew the seals as Bob watched from behind.

It was in emulation of cowboy-hat wearin' buckaroos in pickup trucks scooting along those roads at higher speeds than I that made me push the van to high enough speed to see if things smooth out.

Your experience makes sense to me. When going fast (35 - 45 mph) over the washboard the inside of the van may feel relatively calm, but underneath lots of parts are still going up and down real fast -- assuming that the tires are still following the washboard profile of the road at that speed.

The shock absorbers must be doing a lot of in and out travel, continuously and rapidly when floating the body over washboard. Friction at the seals where the smaller diameter portion of the shock goes into the larger diameter bit could cause them to get mighty warm. A little KY perhaps?

How about CV joints? One end is connected to the wheelbone which is reciprocating up and down in synch with the washboard, but the other end is tried to the transaxle-bone, which is not going up and down when at float speed. Are we accelerating the wear on these guys?

I know that the steering wheel feels nice and steady when floating, but the wheels it connects to are whizzing up and down, so something in the linkage must be soaking up the motion. Anything there being worn out quickly?

Only because it's just a seat-of-the-pants guess that the far heavier wugga-wugga-wugga-wugga vibrations and jostling transmitted to the van when driving slower is more likely to cause all kind of damage shaking things loose (in the engine compartment, under the van, the Westy cabinetry) than what damage might occur to the suspension and tire bits when one is going faster and floating the vehicle above the suspension. But what do I know?

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) Bend, OR KG6RCR