Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:08:05 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's that? Welcome mat
Comments: To: Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>

On 9/26/2009 4:39 PM Al Knoll wrote:

> Camping is more adventurous and exciting in the Westy. Heck, if you > feel a bit under gunned you can buy a generator.

Heh. Be certain to put it on the non-driver side of the van before firing it up. There's a reason why generators are not mounted on the passenger side of your RVs and that's because that's the side where the occupants usually hang out. If the generator was on that side it would drive them mad. But it's okay to point it at the people in the campsite next door and run it all day if you want to! It's in the rules!

Oh shoot -- I promised myself that I wouldn't get started on my generator rant this week . . .

> Did RJ Squirrel ever figure out the potty training bit?

RJ Squirrel did.

> The short thetford makes you true class C and fits between the seats. > Hook up a greywater tank of your own design made of plastic and secured > with removable straps for emptying and shazam! You're almost in RV > wonderland.

Thank you for asking, but no -- there's no way I would put a toilet onboard. Floor space is too valuable, and the idea of doing's one business in the same room where one's partner will also be occupying is too icky for words.

I got one of those 5-gallon shop bucket loos. The bucket makes a handy wastebasket if not employed as a loo. And it should stay clean even if used as one by the clever use of 8-gallon plastic liner bags, some kitty litter, newspaper to line things with, and careful planning.

I already had an Outback Porta Privy enclosure (http://www.hotcampshowers.com/inc/sdetail/379) purchased for taking hot shower in.

This stuff is now part of the gear I keep in the trailer. However, I've not needed to use it yet. I was able to crutch to the campground's facilities (vault toilet) camping trip before last, and able to get to the facilities with a cane this last camping trip (I'm getting better).

There were very nice sites close to the facilities on both camping trips. If there hadn't been, though, knowing that if I happened to come across an even more choice site, one that was too far from the CG's toilet, I could set up a little service station of my own, giving me more options.

Better that I didn't have to, though. Quite frankly, it's something I'd rather not have to deal with.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) Bend, OR KG6RCR