Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Sep 2009 19:45:15 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Quick overnight, several sightings and an odd little problem

In no particular order, set out yesterday morning for Virginia Beach but the van did something (twice) it had never done before, cranked for several seconds per attempt without any sign of firing.  I could not hear the fuel pump cycling during each attempt until it did finally fire.  Took about four to six tries before firing each of the two instances when this occurred and each time it then ran fine and after those two times gave no further trouble all weekend.  Ignition switch?  Fuel pump relay?  We almost took the Mopar minivan instead but if we had then we'd have probably not met...

Gabriel and Jocelyn from Montreal in their pristine grey '89 almost-a-twin of our '87 Westy, or  Steve from Durham NC camping in his blue hardtop, or that fellow in the Assuan Brown Westy who waved on Shore Drive.  Also saw a nice white Carat hardtop with Yakima bars and Rocket Box having rear brake work done at a shop near the bridge tunnel entrance.  Anyone on the list?

Rained like crazy Saturday night, but we were in our same great campsite from last trip, and Hank the dog got to romp on the beach enough to wear us all out, but he learned the hard way about sand spurs (nose and toes).  Back home now with family business tended to and workaday life resuming tomorrow, but it doesn't take much for a drive in a Westy to become a mini-vacation.  Have one soon.

Stephen