Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:00:07 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: advice on tranny rebuild and water leak on 1990 Vanagon GL
Comments: To: Mtbdavid2@AOL.COM

Hi David, since your trans shifts well cold.......and maybe it's not 'real bad' yet syncro-wise, you could try different gear oil. Redline MT-90 or MTL both help shifting - the MTL a little bit more I think. MT-90 is the one normally recommended for vanagon transaxles though. But you could delay the trans reubilt possibly with different gear oil in the short term, if you wanted.

you might also enjoy checking how much metal there is on your magnetic trans drain plug. Sometimes it's a frightening amount of metal shavings. I've found a marble size 'golf ball' of metal on the magnet to be not that unusual. Not nice, but not that unusualy.

on the head gasket leak. Look at the upper sides of that head, or the heads, and see if it's an AMC head or a VW one. The reason I say this is because I have seen some AMC aftermarket heads that squeazse the outer rubber water gasket too much, pinching it, causing it to want to leak there after a while, or it it ever gets overheated. Just saying, when you have that head off.......at least I find it important to pay particular attention to the compression of the outer water gasket. I've seen them be just right, too big, too small, and tilted - The later 3 of which won't work very well.

Welcome to Vanagon ownership !! they are a real trip, and once sorted out and repaired properly ......they are just awesome. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Cohen" <Mtbdavid2@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:51 PM Subject: advice on tranny rebuild and water leak on 1990 Vanagon GL