Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:12:24 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Facebook; was RE: VW Camper Cookbook

I was at the gas station once and as I put my debit card in the machine this duffer on the pump opposite very contemptuously said to me "I always use cash; don't you know they can track you with those things?" I very pointedly looked at his license plate and then up to the security camera that was pointed right at us and said "If 'they' really want to know what you're doing, they'll know, and you won't be able to do anything about it. 'They' have far better toys and far more money than you ever will.' I then took my receipt, sort of waved it at him and drove off.

The point is, 'Big Brother', be it gov't or just big money doesn't need an 'in'. That fight is over. That gas-pump conversation was a few years ago; in fact as the technology has gotten more sophisticated and cheaper, things that were only available to governments a couple of decades ago are now in the hands of everyday people. Consider the thing on which you are reading this, or the GPS in your car. Big Brother could just be some hack with too much time on his hands... ever hear of Erin Andrews?

The definition of personal privacy has already changed irrevocably from what we grew up with and the change has really just begun. It doesn't really matter because most of us won't be around when whatever the future concept will be really clears the event horizon. That's the nature of human societies; the people of the future will get to decide what's important to them. On the one hand, the signal to noise ratio will be intense; it really might be easiest to hide out in the crowd if you think you need to. On the other hand, digital information is so easily searchable...

This is an interesting time... you could almost compare the infancy of the internet in to those periods in different societies just after they had each mastered fire, or language, or tools, or whatever. I really don't think anybody can see the finish line from here.

If you don't like it, don't use it; if you 'really regret it' (?) delete the profile- but don't try to fool yourself into thinking that will somehow take you below the radar. Yeah, you aren't giving it away, but you aren't making it any harder in any practical sense.

...and now back to your Vanagon programming, of which the original question was should there be a list Facebook group? Any benefit to that, or no?

Cya, Robert

--snip-- I've said it once and will say it again. Facebook bites. Social networking has been/will be the "in" for big brother Same w/Twitter, etc. Really hate the up-to-the-minute 'here's what I'm doing and how my bowel is' stuff. Nuff said. BTW-Signed up so I would know how because my wife wanted to get on and I really regret it. Better things to do. P.S. I really toned down my response so I hope it is appreciated. :-) Michael in San Antonio 91GL AT 'Gringo' 73 Beetle