Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Sep 2009 22:33:00 -0230
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon emissions

The concern about owning two vehicles is not that it leads anyone to drive more. It's about the resources consumed in producing and eventually disposing of two vehicles rather than only one. Michael's argument (empirically verifiable, though he doesn't say whether this is basically his guess or something he has data to demonstrate) is that the energy and materials consumed in manufacturing the second vehicle and disposing it exceed the savings in energy consumption due to driving some of one's miles in, say, a Prius rather than a vanagon.

Of course comparing energy consumption (and consequent pollution) with materials that go into the vehicle doesn't work, it's like comparing apples & oranges. But one can do the analysis based only on energy use. I'd guess that in energy terms alone, the energy savings from driving (say) half one's lifetime miles in a Prius rather than all in a vanagon (the Prius gets roughly 30 mpg better than a vanagon) are greater than the energy consumed in manufacturing and disposing of the Prius.

Whether that is actually true, of course, depends on what your second vehicle is, how much you drive in each, and so on. You could do the same with other emissions (ones that are not a linear function of gasoline use), and I guess materials consumed. Disposing of the Prius batteries seems to be problematic and a somewhat unresolved issue - obviously there's nothing comparable if you only drive the vanagon.

If your second vehicle is a bicycle, you'll definitely be doing the world a favor!

Joy