Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Oct 2009 18:00:47 -0400
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: NVC: Re: No High Beams
Comments: To: Mark Hersh <cmwolfsburg@GMAIL.COM>

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Mark Hersh wrote:

> On this trip I saw a license plate frame that said on top "The closer > you > get" and on the bottom, "the slower I go" I would not mind a bumper > sticker that said that. > Many years ago I was on I-20 east of Big Spring, Texas, traffic very light, driving 70 mph. There was NO traffic in the left lane (I was in the right). A cadillac appeared behind me, approaching me much faster than I was driving. It came almost up on my bumper, and I began slowing as much as was prudent without getting rear ended. Eventually, I was driving at 45 mph, as was the cadillac behind me, and it just kept on my tail. As we passed a crossover, a highway patrol car whipped across from the other lane and got behind us both with the lights on. I thought the guy would get a lecture and a ticket. Nope. He was simply told to go on his way, and I got a lecture and a ticket for "driving imprudently slowly" and "holding up traffic." I did try to explain the situation, and that the guy had ample opportunity to go around me, but you don't talk to those guys. I thought there was a traffic offense called "following too closely." The officer dismissed that idea (he'd already sent the other guy on his way, anyway), and stated again that my slow driving was the cause of the situation. I was at the minimum legal speed of 45 mph, but the officer thought I should have been going faster.

Back then, in Texas, one could plea "nolo contendre" on a traffic ticket, pay the fine, and the offense would not register on one's driving record. When I went in to do that, the clerk raised her eyebrows upon looking at the ticket. She said that she would deny saying it if asked, but that the officer in question would not be in court if I pled not guilty and asked for a trial. She further said that the result in such a case was usually a delay, then another delay, then dismissal. I said I didn't have time to make three court appearances, and she said "try one." I did. I noticed that the officer was not in court, as she'd said. The judge asked me why I was pleading not guilty. I explained. The officer was called as a witness, and did not appear. The judge dismissed the ticket. I later learned that the officer was under suspension for a series of misdeeds on duty.

I still slow down when I'm tailgated (and will very briefly touch my brake to show the brake light), if conditions warrant. Of course, when I'm driving my camper, I am driving slower than most of the other vehicles, anyway. If there is room, I pull over.

Dave Mc