Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Oct 2009 21:36:04 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: California catalytic converter needed

I don't remember how much it would cost 8 years ago for an OEM CAT. But it was around $300. That's why I talked to my cousin who is a mechanic and owner of a 76 gas station and repair shop. He ordered one for me without my approval. He intended to give it to me as a gift but I paid him the amount on the receipt. It was less than $100.

I have two Vanagons. One of them still has the original OEM CAT. It is about 1.5 time the size of the aftermarket one. The cheapo looks indeed very cheap. I never thought it would last for too many years. Apparently the CAT does not wear out. It passed every California SMOG test since 8 years ago.

The point I am trying to make is I don't know what it is all about the special California CAT. The cheapo CAT I have works extremely well. I bet if you order out of state (as long as it fits) it will be just fine. I will not hesitate to order the cheapest one.

The Vanagon does need to be healthy though. I bought my 84GL new and have been taking care of it myself. It has never been in a shop for any repair. The California weather helps a lot. The engine compartment is always clean enough so it is not hard to keep everything in good working order. The reason I replaced the CAT was it was moved to my 83 Westy. The one on the Westy crapped out and I needed one replacement fast. So I stole it from the 84. I got the cheap one for the 84 afterwards. I have looked for a used OEM one for years and could not find one. I then realized that it was banned from selling used CATs in California. This regulation in my opinion is set up for consumers to pay the auto industry for new CATs at $800 a piece. Used (but not defective) CATS will work just as good as new ones.

By the way, for 83 - 85 Vanagons you need to warm up the engine to normal working temperature for the O2 sensor to function properly. So if you do a SMOG test before the engine (o2 sensor) is hot enough it will fail.

David