Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Oct 2009 10:43:43 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Technique For Removing Speedo needle?

Thanks for all the replies. Karl, do you think your issue with the accuracy had something to do with the "spring loading" of the needle? Has anyone tested the accuracy by spinning the speedo on the work bench with a drill at say 60 rpm and have a value for that in MPH? I guess I could do that before I take it apart and report back to the group. DUH!!

Thanks again

DM&FS

At 09:33 AM 10/3/2009, Karl Wolz wrote: >It's been a long time since I did this, but I recall having a difficult time >putting the needle back on in the correct orientation. IIRC, it was off by >20 mph or some such. Had to install it to find that out, then pull it back >out, reset it, and reinstall. > >Karl Wolz > >-----Original Message----- >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >Bob Stevens >Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2009 6:23 AM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: Technique For Removing Speedo needle? > >The first one I "removed" the needle was intact and just fine, but the steel >spindle it was pushed onto was still inside of it. The spindle broke.After >that I used 2 different "devices": one was the "two-butter-knives" process, >putting them under each side of the needle, straddling the spindle >and putting equal up pressure on them, while holding the speedo/tach face >down with my knuckles. >The other was modifying some needle nose angled-pliers so the nose would fit >under the needle and sort of rocking the plier handle down so the nose >pushed up on the underside of the needle. The outside of the turn/angle on >the plier rests against the face of the speedo/tach. That method was easier >to control the >"tool" than the knives but I can't say it is a better way to go. Both those >have worked for me. These gauges are old and that needle has been sitting >on that spindle for a long time so anything is likely to happen. Forgive >yourself for breaking either the spindle or needle and get another gauge >and >try again. > >bob > >On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 2:59 AM, Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@cfu.net>wrote: > > > got an odometer issue and have found several sites with the proper > > fix, but all of the how to's more or lessgloss over the removiing of > > the speedometer needle. Just don't wanna break it as it appears to > > REALLY be on there. > > > > thanks > > > > DM&FS > >