Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Oct 2009 10:23:16 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wiring of New Front Aux Lights - Question
Comments: To: "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>

You could get a salvaged defroster switch (including the connector with a few inches of its wiring), scrape off the symbol with a jackknife blade, and either leave it blank or letter it yourself. The indicator led will light showing when it's switched on, if you wire it correctly. I did this for my 'manual radiator fan switch' modification, as it's cheap, readily available and is designed for switching a high current accessory, not to mention it looks stock.

Mike B. ----- Original Message ----- From: Jack R. To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 7:50 AM Subject: Re: Wiring of New Front Aux Lights - Question

Robert,

Run a separate fused wire direct from your battery, and use the current to the "parking" lights to trip the relay. So, if you turn off your parking lights, the aux lights will go out too. Now, put a switch between your "direct wire" from your battery at the aux lights. There is a factory switch available that fits right by your rear-window defog switch.

That's how I did it, and it works great... as I can elect to run the aux anytime I want, even with the high-beams on. And, all I have to do to shut them off is either use the new switch or turn off my headlights / parking lights.

Hope this helps!

Jack