Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:00:13 -0700
From:         John Anderson <wvukidsdoc@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel lines: if it ain't broke

As is long stated on all the lists, this is literally, the FIRST job you should do on any new to you van, even if you think things look fine and replaced, that replacement could still be 8-10 years old.  I think the main thing to recall here volks is that the entire job, INCLUDING the injector lines, is really not THAT much effort.  Even for a first timer, if relatively skilled ameteur mechanic probably 3-4 hours or so.   Does raise some residual questions that make me queasey on Vanagons, have been for about 5 years now.  Those include, just how long is the life expectancy on the black plastic ring end resevoirs likely to be.  I mean if the bulkhead fittings are failing, are those end bits likely far behind?  I've replaced early ones on 1.9s because of rust of the clamps rings on the ends (the clamping rings on early 1.9s were cad plated, and rusted in the rust belt, they became stainless somewhere along the way.)  The other worry to me is the rigid plastic lines to and from the tank, and how long they are good for.  These I've only replaced when buggered up by someone with losing the inserts then clamping them too tightly, but like all plastic, they got to have a life expectancy, and 15-20 years may be near it.   Anyway some thoughts for all those going through the system.  At least on an air cooled, the steel ring pieces were easy to inspect, if they were rusted, they were rusted, you could decide how badly.  Plastic of course looks fine, until it doesn't.   John