Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Oct 2009 17:07:12 -0700
From:         James V <tornadored@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: HELP in Riverton, WY - Engine Flooding

Thanks again vana-people for your quick replies. After posting to the list from a nearby motel parking lot via mooched wi-fi (sorry for the hasty post), I returned to the shop's parking to tinker on the van. (So I was only able to see the first reply)

While I swapped the AFM, the friendly mechanic who had previously said he might be able to help came out with voltmeter in hand. I pulled my Bentley and he proceeded to check temp sensors, AFM, and throttle switch. (As listees pointed out, Bentley showed us that there was no cold-start valve on my van.)

I pointed out the fuel pressure regulator to the mechanic, and he seemed to think it was fine since the vac hose was dry inside.

What he did find is that the the throttle switch was not closing properly at idle. It seemed to stick open, but would close when he snapped the throttle. He determined this to be the likely problem and adjusted it. Here's where it's a little weird, though... Afterward, I examined the Bentley and it looks to me like he was turning (loosening) the allen set screw, not the eccentric. To me it looks like the eccentric screw was either missing or mangled. (is it the plastic blob-thing I'm seeing to the right of the other screw?)

Regardless, after swapping the AFM and the mechanic fiddling w/ the throttle switch, the van started. He wouldn't charge me, but I gave him the cash I had on hand. I then proceeded to drive the thousand-ish miles home without incident. Changed the oil - this didn't occur to me until I was nearly home :(

Anyway, exactly what was wrong is still a little grey to me. I guess I'll test the old AFM. But, I'm curious about the throttle switch and whether it simply became "unstuck" (?) or if the screw he turned was actually adjusting it...? The temp was in the 30s each time the problem struck. By the time the van got going, the van had been sitting for a few hours and the temp was probably at least 50º.

Unfortunately, somewhere between the fix and home, the van began to idle roughly. It holds steady at around 900 rpm, but is just not quite smooth. I don't notice any roughness accelerating or cruising. Gas mileage was normal... even scratched 20 mpg for one leg. Not really sure where to start with this...

Thanks again for being such good people. Yellowstone and Teton were beautiful, as always.

James V 88 Westy

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM, James V <tornadored@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello List, > > I am in Riverton, Wyoming, trying to get back to So Cal.  I just spent > a week in Yellowstone, and my 88 westy had some intermittent problems > starting, getting worse in the last couple days. (turning, just takes > several tries to start). > > If the car had been running a while, and I turned it off, it would > start up fine again.  However, it seems that if the car sat for for > about 45 min to 3 hrs, it would be more likely to have trouble > starting. But, from dead-cold in the morning, it seems to start ok. > > This morning, I started it up okay, then let it idle.  It suddenly > shut off after about 5-7 min, and I have been unable to restart since. >  It seems it's flooded and upon inspection there is fuel leaking from > the exhaust.  Really flooded. > > None of the shops in town can get to my van until Monday... something > about hunting season.  Although, a mechanic I talked to *might* be > able to get to it if he has time.  In the meantime, he said to open up > the intake to let it air out. His first guesses would be coolant temp > sensor, AFM, and cold start valve.  I replaced temp sensor a week ago. >  I have a spare AFM that I will put in.  Not sure what to do about > testing/replacing the cold start valve.  He said to try starting it > with the pedal floored in "flood mode." > > Anyway, after swapping the AFM, I'm gonna give it another go, and > hopefully the mechanic will become available if needed.   But in the > meantime, if anyone can offer ANY advice/assistance I'd really > appreciate it. > > Please pmail.  If you're kind enough to leave a phone number, even > better.  Gotta run... will check back in if I can. > > Thanks, > > James >