Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Oct 2009 18:35:39 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: No High Beams

Electrical circuits used in our Vanagons use copper wiring, with connectors usually of brass. Both copper and brass as subject to corrision (especially in the presence of water). As they corrode, less metal is available to carry the electrical current (leading to higher resistance in the circuit.) Higher resistance means that some of the current goes into generating heat. Heat on wiring can lead to melting of the insulation. This in turn can expose more of the wiring to corrosion....

All of this takes time (and usually water).

I'm not positive as to what metal the fuses are made of, tin, aluminum or something. I've seen surface corrosion on them as well.

With aluminum (and I believe tin), the surface oxidation tends to prevent further corrosion. This is not true in the case of copper or brass. However, aluminum oxide is a very poor conductor of electricity and has a fairly high resistance (and remember that thing above where resistance leads to heat?)