Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Oct 2009 19:10:18 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: How do I send used parts to Canada?
Comments: To: Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>

For heavier packages UPS ground is usually cheaper on shipping than USPS.

The difficult thing is brokerage. USPS packages get picked up by Canada Post, sometimes they just slip through to my door, no charges. Sometimes they spot it, and charge GST on declared customs value + a $5 handling fee. This I have to pay at the postal outlet. (It also means that rather than getting the package at my door I have to go and pick it up)

UPS charges a brokerage fee that depends on the value on the package. First the good news: For any value under $20 there is no GST and also no brokerage fee. Same goes for an "Unsolicited gift" under $60. Bad news: for more usual values of $100 or so, brokerage adds a pretty hefty amount. So freight can be $20-30 for my order, and then an additional $20 for brokerage on a $100-200 order.

The sad bottomline is that many orders that would have cost $100 shipped in the US often costs me $140 to Canada with all fees. For auto parts (pretty heavy) often USPS shipping is similar to UPS shipping and brokerage together. For most light weight but more valuable stuff USPS is cheaper due to the flat fee $5 brokerage.

Martin (and '82 Westy 1.9TD in need of parts...)

__________________________________________________________________ Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com