Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Oct 2009 16:37:32 +0000
From:         "John C..." <JCarp2001@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Throttle Idle RPM question

>>Specially the TEMP2 sender on the thermostat housing.

I'll second that one!

Strangely, I've been having a problem with 2K RPM's

And it wasn't untiI I repaired a leaking hose

coming off of the thermostat

that the RPM problem was solved.

The hose dripped right onto the sensor connector.

Causing the rise in RPM's

JC... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joel Cort" <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, October 2, 2009 8:30:05 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain Subject: Re: Throttle Idle RPM question

Before changing any settings or messing with the throttle,  check that all the wires are connected and not corroded.

Specially the TEMP2 sender on the thermostat housing.  - I've had that fall off before due to corrosion. Also the Oxygen2 sensor on the exhaust manifold can cause some issues but should start and run, just run rich.

Check the ground wires - good and shiny not corroded.

Also if you have any exhaust leaks (hole in the manifolds or muffler pipes) you will have issues idling just right.  Joel Cort

________________________________ From: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thu, October 1, 2009 8:21:30 PM Subject: Re: Throttle Idle RPM question

Better minds than mine may give you a better answer soon, but ...

EFI, or electronic fuel injection, by definition controls most aspects of fuel injection electronically (no, I'm not making fun - it's just that basic).  Idle speed is also controlled by the big screw pointing up and back from the throttle body; as simple a physical thing as you might imagine. Back it out a bit and more air/fuel mixture gets to the engine.  A blocked air cleaner will restrict air flow to the engine, and could cause a lack of idle.

If the engine is allowed to come up to normal operating temperature (run for a few minutes), is it more tempted to idle?

Could be a vacuum leak.

If it ran well when parked, it most likely should run now.  Fuel will degrade over time, but should not have to the extent that it will not idle at all.  I'd say "not likely".

Did it run "well" with your foot on the gas?  Did it die immediately after you removed said foot, or did it linger and then poop out?

Whereabouts are you?  There may be a knowledgeable list member who could give a listen.

Checking FI ground connections not a bad idea, as Unca Joel said.

From this message below, am I to understand that the throttle RPM is somehow electrically controlled then? =============================

{{ My daughter's 1986 (2.1) Vanagon (AKA: The Mystery Machine) has sat for about 6 to 8 months without being used (she is USAF & just returned home for a short break).  When I started it for her the other day it would not run unless I kept my foot on the accelerator pedal.  If I took my foot off, the idle speed would drop to zero & it would die.  No real problem with being smooth running or anything, it just has no idle setting now.  Anyone care to comment as to what may have happened?  It was running fine before the period of non use.}}

======================================================================== -----Original Message----- From: joel walker [mailto:uncajoel@bellsouth.net] Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 1:29 PM To: Ramon Hill Subject: Re: Throttle Idle RPM question

Do the cheap stuff first, and in this case, the most likely stuff ...

Pull each fuse out of the fuse box, clean the contacts on the fuse and push it back into the fuse box. Pull it out again and push it back. do that about three times on each fuse.

Corrosion can set up on the exposed metal and cause electrical gremlins in cars that sit a while, especially in humid climates.

In the engine area, pull each brown wire off and clean the contacts and put it back and make sure it's tight onto its connector. do one wire at a time, so you remember where it came off. ;)  The fuel injection is VERY sensitive to bad electrical grounds.

Also on the coolant temp sensor, on the thermostat, kinda in the front/left/driver corner of the engine compartment, but "outside", kinda under the cargo deck, the sensor is sticking out sideways toward the left rear wheel ... press down on the long-side silver wire (check the fuel injectors for a clearer idea of what you're dealing with) and that springs out the side clips and you can wiggle the connector off. Clean the contacts and put it back.

Do the same with the idle stabilizer valve ... that brass-colored cylinder in the middle right of the engine, with two black hoses going to it, and one electrical connector at one end ... Unclip the wiring connector and clean the contacts.

All those things together might actually solve the problem, but at the very least, it'll keep the problem from hiding behind bad contacts.

good luck! joel