Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:02:58 -0700
From:         Mark Hersh <cmwolfsburg@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Lost all power; regained engine, but no headlights, wipers

We were driving home yesterday in our 86 Weekender (2.1 WBX, automatic) after a two-week trip along the OR coast (mostly). Our headlights were on almost the entire time because of safety reasons (drove mostly US 101). Didn't need wipers much but they worked OK when needed.

Around 7 AM yesterday the camper lost all power while simply driving (45-50 mph). Lights, wipers, engine. All came back on after a few seconds. After about a minute, it did it again. I had to drive a bit to find a safe place to pull over. Then it died again while parked. Left it off for about 10 minutes while we fed and walked the dogs around a bit.

Started it back up and while it started and idled OK, we had no headlights or wipers (front and rear). Parking lights, turn signals, horn, and emergency flashers were OK. High beam headlights would come on if I activated the high/low dimmer switch (pulled in on the stem). I think the rear window defog is out also. Not sure about fresh air fan or rear heater fan.

We ran straight home for the next 3+ hours, stopping only to buy a squeegee at a hardware store. Started and ran OK after stopping. Luckily we had only a few minutes of drizzle around Olympia.

Once home, I had a new headlight switch and popped off the cluster cover and installed it, thinking perhaps that the feed for all those other went through there and maybe it was fried (it was suspect, so I had a new switch; have not gotten around to the headlight upgrade (relay) upgrade yet). But no change.

I have not checked all the fuses, figuring that to blow five or so separate circuits is unlikely. I did check the wiper fuse and it is OK as I suspected. I'm guessing that some junction somewhere is fried... ignition switch? I have a Bentley's and could probably study the diagrams (97.67-97.84) for a while and maybe figure it out but thought I'd ask here first as I'm sure I'm not the first with this problem.

Thanks!

Mark

-- 86 Campmobile Six-Seater "Monty"

Black dogs are euthanized at a greater rate than other-colored dogs, regardless of temperament. Learn about Black Dog Syndrome at http://www.blackpearldogs.com/