Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:00:58 -0400
From:   Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:   Re: VW Campground Reviews
Comments:   To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Here are the current rules regarding pass use in federal parks and other facilities. So far as I know (I have used federal passes so long as they have been available, now use the "Senior Pass") the four person total rule has always applied. For six persons to get in on one pass, two of them would have to be hidden (which they might be in a motor home I suppose) and sneak in.

The rules don't reference bicycles, but at two different parks I have been told that persons on bicycles are treated as persons on foot (ie, four would be admitted on one pass, perhaps thanks to you, Don). My wife and I each have our own senior pass, since we sometimes travel with our daughter's family, thus having five people together. The senior pass costs $10 for a lifetime, and is available to anyone 62 or older (as many of you probably already know). Don, I don't know when your experience at Yellowstone occurred, but your pass was a Golden Eagle, so it was some years ago, I suppose, and the rules posted below likely have been updated since. But, they still don't explicitly reference bicycles.

http://www.store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html

http://www.store.usgs.gov/pass.index.html

My experience with park (or other federal) personnel is that they generally know the rules very well. What they often don't know is how to apply the rules with any sensible flexibility. That usually protects them from the wrath of supervisors. I was told in one national park, where recreation vehicles were separated from tent camps but I was allowed in the tent camp with my WV camper (sensible flexibility) that I had to use the dump station for my gray water. I attempted to explain that tent campers generated as much gray water as I did, but that they put it on the ground at the camp site. I was told that I could move to the RV sites, that the rules had already been bent once for me. I asked, "what if I don't use my sink, but do all my cooking and washing outside?" In that case, I was told I should do what the tent campers do. I did use my sink (with a catch bucket under the drain), but poured the gallon and a half or so of "gray water" on the fire when I left, thus saving the amount of water I would have had to use to put out the fire otherwise. Probably would have been fined had the same ranger showed up again.

Another time, in the Long's Peak campground at Rocky Mountain National Park, I picked up some of the stones around my campsite and used them to construct a wind break on the table for my backpacking stove. A camp host told me that if a ranger came around, I likely would be chastised for doing so, and would have to put the stones back on the ground. I was sort of flabbergasted, and so the host explained that the rangers there were required to enforce all rules very strictly. No rangers showed up while I was there.

I would be quite happy for the parks to treat a trailer as a second vehicle, and charge accordingly. Makes sense to me, so far as impact is concerned. Certainly, many folks who drive into the parks in a house tow a car behind. To me, that is a second vehicle, and if they only pay one entrance fee, then they are getting more than their share. For that matter, simply by being there in their house, they are consuming more than their share. A Westphalia camper is not a house. It is a van (one vehicle). So, I would feel fine about each VW camper having to pay a fee for the campsite (no "doubling" except where the rules explicitly allow two vehicles per campsite, which is many), but the portable (barely) houses that folks drive should have their own category, and a larger fee charged (including for geezers like myself). Folks should have to pay extra each trip if they have a senior pass and arrive in a portable house, whether they use hook-ups or not.

Just my feelings on the matter. I have shared them in the past with the NPS, and was thanked for my "input."

David McNeely