Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:59:36 -0700
From:   Matthew Snook <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM>
Subject:   Re: [NVC] Do you like camping in the rain?
Comments:   To: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Love the rain. I guess it all has to do with expectations.

If one camps in the summer, one expects to get hot; in the winter, to get cold. Yes, you strip down or bundle up as fits the situation. I for one think that it's unreasonable to expect the floor to stay spotless in the wet season, even at home you have to mop much more often! A Westy is not hermetically sealed. Yep, muddy boots. It's not Disneyland, it's the real world, and if you go out into the world some of it will get on you. :) Hats keep us mostly dry, but not quite, in my experience.

So, yeah - I love it. The Westy is more comfortable and convenient than some other ways to be out there, but it won't keep the elements out entirely. The only way to do that is to stay home. No way.

Tip: boots go in the driver & passenger footwells, not in the living room. Front doors for entry, leave 'em there.

Matt

-----Original Message----- From: Rocket J Squirrel Subject: [NVC] Do you like camping in the rain?

...in my experience camping in the rain is messy. Mud all over the darn place, a simple trek to the privy involves specialized foot gear, rainproof clothing, funny rubber hats and bumbershoots if feeling particularly British or silly. Stuff dripping all over the place. And mud . . . did I mention mud?

How do you folks feel about camping in the rain? Any tips for keeping the inside of the van dry and clean?...