Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:31:09 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel to Gasoline Conversion?
Comments: To: Pat Sloan <pmsloan@SHAW.CA>

Hi, a diesel vanagon with a 1.8 inline 4 gas engine in it, is not 'by itself' a weird or difficult thing for a competent person to work on ..... with two caveats. In my opinion, even if it's a bone stock 82 diesel Venango, or a bone stock say, 1984 waterboxer gasoline vanagon, or a bone stock CIS fuel injected 87 Jetta........ getting competent work done on it in any case, can be a small challenge let's say.

the other one is .........It's probably fair to say, generally, VW technicians are less familiar or comfortable with CIS fuel injection. I own one myself now - I have a CIS-E 16 valve 87 jetta 1.8 engine.......... plan is to run it in a vanagon for sure. I have the books on it, the fuel pressure gauge etc........but it is likely to be a learning curve somewhat.

CIS is often quite reliable too. I would possibly say it's both 'pretty reliable' and 'trickier to fix' sometimes.

the preferred system .............used on one year newer jetta's , in my opinion is the electronic fuel injection .........ECU-triggered injectors for each cylinder, a system very similar to what waterboxer vanagons have .......and pretty easy to deal with, generally.

but I wouldn't let CIS keep my from having a nice DV Westy with gas inline four engine. I think fundamentally, that's a great package. A hellava lot better or more useful in every way compared to what it was stock, with 48 hp.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pat Sloan" <pmsloan@SHAW.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:19 PM Subject: Diesel to Gasoline Conversion?