Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:27:16 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [NVC] Do you like camping in the rain?

We completely ignore the weather forecast -- if we've said we are going camping on a weekend we go. We always carry waterproof/breathable coats and pants. Good hiking boots are similarly waterproof and breathable. We have a ShadyBoy awning which gives us a dry space to sit outside. I long ago covered the carpet inside the Westy with sheet lino -- easy to keep clean; much easier than the originial carpet. We have a small mat to keep bare toes away from cold lino when getting out of bed. I also carry a beach umbrella that has yet to see a beach. Its purpose is to keep really torrential rain off the campfire. We also have one of these: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000002120&categoryid=11050&brand= It's a Coleman Beach Shade that fits 2 chairs and a bottle of wine and can be placed right by the fire. The heat from the fire radiates back into the shade so you are dry and warm. This summer there were tornadoes in Toronto and we were camped about 60 miles west when that storm hit us. I haven't seen rain like it in years. Just poured. I pitched the Beach shade under the cover of the ShadyBoy awning and got it to the fire (wearing Goretex coat). We were cosy, dry and warm and smug :-) Of course I could have moved the van so the awning was right by the fire -- that works too but not as well as the beach shade in really heavy rain. We also love the sound of the rain on the Westy roof when in bed.

Cheers, Doug

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > I enjoy camping in the rain.  Mud, now that's no fun, but if your chosen > camping location is sandy or gravelly, as was my spot in S. Missouri > this past weekend, it can be great.  There are aspects of nature that > are interesting, and only show up in the wet.  If you don't have mud to > contend with, give it a go. > > There are places where if you didn't camp in the rain, you would almost > never camp. > > And a VW camper is excellent shelter. > > Dave Mc > > > On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: > >> Begging forbearance from the Moderators and members o' the list, this >> appears to be a quiet Sunday afternoon so I'd like to ask a camping >> question, with no specific Vanagon content. >> >> For a few weeks my son and I have had plans to go camping next >> weekend. >> The extended weather forecast for that weekend has shifted from cool >> but >> sunny to kinda rainy. "Showers" is the word they are currently using. >> 60% >> chance of precipitation, mid 60s (F) in the day, 40s at night. >> >> The temps are fine with us, but we are a desert people, having come >> from >> SoCal, and in my experience camping in the rain is messy. Mud all over >> the >> darn place, a simple trek to the privy involves specialized foot gear, >> rainproof clothing, funny rubber hats and bumbershoots if feeling >> particularly British or silly. Stuff dripping all over the place. And >> mud >> . . . did I mention mud? >> >> How do you folks feel about camping in the rain? Any tips for keeping >> the >> inside of the van dry and clean? >> >> -- >> Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott >> 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") >> 74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) >> Bend, OR >> KG6RCR >

-- http://www.dougalcock.com