Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:23:30 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: sliding door lock
Comments: To: jforero <jforero@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

First thing I would ask is what year door ? there are two styles. I have seen several cases of the spring/mechanism inside the door latch of 1980 to 1884 vanagons break, so that every time you close the door it falls to the locked position. I have seen this only on these early doors, and never the 85 and later ones.

the Cheater Easy Fix , not to elegant, but it works, is to rig replace the locking knob with a screw, so you can hooks a tension type spring on it. The you hang that spring from another screw a couple of inches above the locking knob/screw.

With this, you keep the screw hooked with the spring, and it won't lock. when you want to lock it, you unhook the spring.

I have yet to get one of those locks all the way apart to find out what 'the' issue is inside them. And ........while one can easily check the latching feature of a lock assembly in your hand ...... I have not found a way to do that with these locks and this lock issue. - like when it's assembled in the door, then you can tell if it works or not, and only then, or at least that's true for me.

At least for me, it 's 10 time easier to offer useful information and suggestions/recommendations.... if people will just say the year, the version, the model. what engine, what trans etc.

It even helps me, believe it or not, if I know what color the van is. I'm from a different planet I think. Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "jforero" <jforero@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 4:18 PM Subject: Re: sliding door lock