Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:19:20 -0700
From:         Pat Sloan <pmsloan@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Diesel to Gasoline Conversion?

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie with minimal auto mechanical experience, and would appreciate some help/opinions from you. The question is:

If a 1982 Westy has been converted from diesel to gasoline (1.8L engine taken from a 1987 VW Jetta - the water cooled, fuel injected CIS engine) will that set up be easy or difficult for a mechanic to work on?

I'm looking to buy a Westy for myself, and this opportunity has come up. Good vehicle; good price. The thing is, since I'm a retired geologist, I will be driving the van on secondary and forestry roads (no problem) and I'm thinking that if a mechanical problem comes up, it's likely to be treated by the nearest small town mechanic. I don't know how complicated the diesel to gas conversion is, and a friend (who doesn't know a lot about VWs) tells me that the re-routed connections would be difficult and expensive for an unfamiliar mechanic to work with. So I am putting my faith in the people on this list. You certainly sound like you know a lot about the insides of a Westfalia. Could you give me your opinions, please?

Thanks,

Pat in Vancouver