Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Oct 2009 17:21:35 -0700
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Maps vs GPS
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

Would next wednesday be a good day? Cleverly hidden in the dross and dreck of the previous post of mine is a praise of maps.

I flunked out of CA (Cartophiliacs Anonymouse (sic) after just two steps). Maps fall easily to hand, no batteries, cords, cables, brackets or other thingamabobery necessary AND if you use the Cane Rattler fold they're really easy to use. If you use the factory fold, you're on your own. But of course you will need a compass.

The celebrated Tates Military Navigational Compass might do. It was pioneered by a little known and rarely remembered Vermont Casting company who responded to the RFP for a military grade compass, able to endure the rigors of battle during the French and Indian wars and never waver. They produced arguably the most durable military compass ever manufactured by diverting work from their iron casting line to make the fine instrument. Alas, the Tates brothers were not terribly skilled in magnetics and their finely crafted cast iron compass gave rise to the saying that "He who has a Tates is lost"

Pensioner.