Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:15:25 -0700
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Maps vs GPS
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com>

In MY vanagon the right seat driver is mostly a go to here, turn, go to the next here, turn, go past the alligator hide nailed to a stump then turn left at the end of the fence.

The left seat driver uses a more arcane go north 5.1 miles to y street...then east 3.4 miles to x..... Descartes would be proud of that.

It's merely a relative and and absolute comparison. Back in the vector graphics days one had the concept of current position and pen up, pen down and move. The results depend on the accuracy of the previous move. The minor errors accumulate, the major errors are disastrous. Miss one turn and the whole sequence is invalid.

An absolute method does not accumulate errors along the way. The Descartes goal seeking GPS method although distasteful to many as too geeky does not accumulate error. It's absolute vector based rather than incremental position based and lends itself to long distance routing without the danger of accumulated error and having the additional feature of easily correcting course errors along the way. Charlie Trimble is my friend from days at HP Santa Clara Division.

Back to the warm rock.

Pensionerd.