Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:22:00 EDT
From:         Mark Dearing <VWBrain@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.8T conversion OBDII [was:Re: Your GoWesty Engine...how do
              you like it?]
Comments: To: kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET

In a message dated 10/13/2009 8:01:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET writes:

I have to second what Craig is saying. I did a stint on Just Answer last spring in the VW section. Most of the problems people were having with the newer VWs were with the 1.8t Passats. That motor is known for sludging which can lead to cam bearing failure, etc. They actually changed the oil spec on it and also now they are using the diesel Rabbit oil filter to help this engine out, but I would not buy a car with one. On top of that the failure rate of the coil packs and MAF sensor were also very high. You don't know how many people I dealt with on this particular engine who were all having similar problems. Even a local guy bought a set of coil packs from me and an oil pump so I know these problems are not trumped up. Avoid this engine!

Ken Wilford

hey ken I will second this, I have worked on a lot of them , we also see the cam tensioner break a lot. BG chemicals made a special sludge removing tool just for this engine for VW only. the public can not get it. I think it is kinda like the engine flush system that they also make, which works great . I also do not recommend this motor. later Mark dearing salem Import service salem va