Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:42:50 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: maps vs GPS

RE: Maps vs. GPS Following this thread over the last couple of days reminds me of an old political joke. A candidate, when asked where he stood on a certain issue, responded "Well, some of my friends are for it, some of my friends are against it. And I always support my friends." I've used a GPS equipped laptop when traveling, I have a top end GPS now mounted in the Starwagen ('90 Westy) and I also carry a nearly full set of Benchmark Atlases along with many state maps, both those issued by the local states and from AAA. And a few other maps for various cities. And I use them all. As many have pointed out a map provides a 'big picture' of where you are, where you are going, and to some extent what you will be driving through. The Benchmark Atlases provide a better scale/detail along your route and very detailed info on campgrounds and other things you might want to find. The route planning software on the laptop provides precise estimates of the time and distance to the next destination. And selecting that next destination on the GPS (or transferring a route from the laptop to the GPS, something I rarely do) provides you with reference and warning of upcoming turns and let's you know how long you have till you get 'there'. Plus the GPS provides an accurate MPH display without having to try to look under the steering wheel of our Vanagons. And the GPS keeps a very accurate trip log for me. And by using the little GPS receiver on my laptop every evening after I camp I end up with a very detailed and accurate record of my route at the end of a long trip. So, I guess I'm in agreement with all of you. The map, the GPS, the laptop and mapping/route planning software, and atlases are all part of my kit. BTW, I mentioned the Benchmark atlases. For those of you away from the western US, you're out of luck on these. Produced in Medford, Oregon they only cover the west. They are slowly expanding their coverage but for now limited to the west. But I've found them far better than the Delorme atlases for the kind of travel and camping I do in my Westy.