Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:31:24 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Maps vs GPS
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@gmail.com>

I dunno where they get em or what brand most of the truckers in the USA use but they are big screen and seem easy to see the screen. I had a chance, just last fall, to glance across from my Vanagon, which was up on the back of one of those flat bed car haulers trucks and looked right into the cabs of quite a few Over the highway big rigs as we passed em. I noticed many of them had big ole GPS screens mounted at eye level in the cab...This was right out side of LA..With a huge tractor trailer rig and the need to go into a city like LA to deliver a load, a GPS with a very good street map program really makes sense. Now I don't know how this might work either, but a pal navigates with his Smart Phone or Ipod or Iphone or whatever it is, somehow. He showed me one time, and it seemed pretty cool.. Me, I still use paper maps for travel and Topo Atlas' for finding backroads and fun places..Mainly I like to look out through my van windows as I travel rather than in at a screen while I try to learn to use a new electronic time saver.. Don Hanson