Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:36:57 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel to Gasoline Conversion?
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

re "If this Westy has the original diesel Vanagon tyranny, you may find the gearing too high. (engine revs higher than needed. Especially at highway speeds) Something to consider.

that would be high numerically, but commonly ......when it's revving it's guts out at 62 mph in top gear .......that's called 'under-geared.'

too high gearing is when it hasn't got enough beans to pull a gear , especially a top gear, properly. stock 82 DV trans is WAY undergeared of course. desperately so- the lowest geared US model car there is , this side of a 1949 International L110 pick up truck. A joke really

but .....the 1.8 inline four, being pretty oversquare ( bore larger than stroke is long ) loves revs. Like even if it still does have the DZ transaxle ......it might not mind too much.

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:00 PM Subject: Re: Diesel to Gasoline Conversion?