Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:12:43 -0700
From:         Zolly <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Friday - engine stand, cleaning, painting.
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

I had to get a bell housing that I bolted onto a Harbor Freight engine stand. Then I made a galley to be able to lift the engine up with a HF 1 ton chain hoist, fit the engine and bell housing together and bolt them up diagonally with two bolts. It rests on the rim of the bellhousing. FYI, the exhaust bolts and nuts best to be heated up red before starting working with them. Wash the engine off to avoid sand and rocks to fall inside. Block all the openings immediately with paper towel tightly rolled. Have a bucket ready to catch the coolant as you turn the engine. You can use a spray bottle from Home Depot to spray gas or whatever you like to clean with. A small wire brush is handy. Have a large drip tray, $12 at Flap store, under the engine stand. Use old dirty wipes to soak up drips on it.

Take a long time to clean the engines nooks and crannies. But that is when you would like to have POR 15 silver paint, that would preserve the beauty and the cleanliness forever. Other than aluminum parts you should paint also with black POR 15. The splach guard are Silver too. The engine would be a show piece for not much effort. No more rust and corrosion there, ugly porous aluminum discoloration, no more build up of dirt, everything will run off the smooth hard paint.

Enjoy your Vanagon genleman

Zoltan ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 10:50 AM Subject: Re: Friday - engine stand suggestions