Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:49:34 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another Update: Only 13V from Alternator
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

12.8 volts at the starting battery, with alternator charging is WAY out of spec.

minimum OK is 13.8 volts. that's how I check them too btw ...........check charging voltage at idle with lights off, then turn on hi beams ........charging voltage should barely drop.

'up to' 14.5 volts is OK. I get, and sometimes sell, solid state adjustable voltage regulators for Bosch alternators. The guy who turned me onto them is a full time alternator/starter rebuilder buy. he says he sets them to 14.7 volts, which I think is a bit high for sure.

If I see 13.8 volts from my own 'good used' vanagon alternator, and everything else works fine ....... good starter operation, bright lights etc...........I'm happy with that.

I would think that battery life is shorter with higher charging voltages.

yes, one could wonder what the charging amperage is, even when charging voltage is all right ....... but in decades of diagnosing alternator/charging/starting issues, I can't think of a time I had an alternator that did good charging voltage but not good amperage.

about batteries ......I want to say 'read my lips' ........ because ..........'over all, day in and day out ............nothing works as nicely and consistently, and is free of 'weirdness' than a good old fashioned lead acid conventional battery. Other batteries may be able to do other things ..........like lay on their side, but so what. Those batteries have stricter charging requirements. Conventional lead-acid batteries are built to work with alternators on cars .....and they work Just Great at that.

I don't even think there is a whole lot of difference between a conventional lead-acid battery and a deep cycle one. And the deep cycle ones are not really completely understood I don't think. You are not supposed to take them below about half charge I think..........and I know a conventional lead-acid battery wouldn't like that. I have used a deep cycle battery as a starting battery ............there is no difference to be discerned. So for me...... it's real simple......use high quality conventional batteries, take good care of them, keep them well charged .........and there are no problems.

what I think would be ideal .......... one starting battery and the regular alternator to operate that system, as normal. Then whatever trick slow discharge batteries you have .... so you can camp and use electricity from them .............then a dedicated charging system for them. That I could imagine working really well. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:05 PM Subject: Re: Another Update: Only 13V from Alternator